Ireland trip offers opportunity to give back

Seton Hall University

The Dean’s Office of the College of Arts and Sciences will be hosting a Servant Leadership Experience to Limerick, Ireland from July 2 to 12, 2015.

“Participants will have the unique opportunity to engage in service projects in collaboration with the Mary Immaculate College and city of Limerick,” according to Dr. Christopher Kaiser, associate dean for undergraduate student services and enrollment management in the College of Arts and Sciences.

If chosen to participate, students will have the opportunity to assist the community of Limerick by working with a local soup kitchen, youth service organizations and a local organization that empowers individuals with intellectual disabilities and autism, Kaiser said.

The service experiences are geared towards each student’s major and personal interests in order to provide as rewarding an experience as possible for the student.

“In addition to the service projects in Limerick, students will also get the opportunity to experience the culture and history of the city and its surrounding area,” he said, further enhancing the experience.

This Servant Leadership trip was organized last year as well, and Kaiser said he hoped it will become an annual trip. Alyssa Morrissey, a senior and double elementary/special education and english major, shared some of her experiences from last year’s trip. She described playing with and helping underprivileged children, as well as those with special needs.

“I am more than convinced that half my heart is still with the kids from the Butterfly Club (a camp for children with special needs),” Morrissey said. “I have been forever changed by everything they have done for me.”

Kaiser encouraged students who are interested in the trip to pick up an application in Fahy 130. The total cost is $3,750. The application includes a short questionnaire as to why the student would like to participate and how he or she can contribute to the trip. The deadline for application is March 1, 2015.

Noora Badwan can be reached at noora. badwan@student.shu.edu.