Library acquires two new E-Book licenses

The Seton Hall library announced its acquisition of two new E-Book licenses, which will allow a multitude of new research information to reach students and faculty this semester.

After reviewing the two databases, E-brary Academic Complete E-Books Database and EBSCO E-Books Academic Collection, based on criteria including type of license, amount of content, accessibility and price, library officials said they agreed these two programs would best fit student and faculty needs.

Starting this semester, students and faculty will have round the clock access to more than 150,000 books, with more varying subject matter, according to John Buschman, Dean of University Libraries at Seton Hall.

"As a result, students and faculty members have an increased amount of information at their fingertips, making research information easily accessible," Bushman said.

According to Bushman, for those using journal articles for research, the library database now offers a "Get It" button. Researchers can now request copies of journals to which the library does not have access.

"This new service took months to implement, but most of our neighboring institutions are phasing it in over a year or so. We moved very fast," Bushman said.

He said after the student or faculty member logs in, the system auto-fills the book's information into a request form. The requested content is then sent to the researcher via e-mail.

"Way over 90 percent of the time the article is in your email within 24 hours," Buschman said.

The "Get It" feature adds tens of thousands of journal articles for students and faculty and makes them accessible within 24 hours, according to Bushman.

Throughout the fall semester, more than 150,000 books were loaded into the University's SetonCat database as part of these two new licensing agreements, library officials said. The library waited until all the information was available before announcing their possession of the licenses to ensure students would have immediate access.

Lindsay Ireland can be reached at lindsay.ireland@student.shu.edu.