SGA allocates funding

The Student Government Association discussed the closings of several dining places on campus as well as allocated money to on-campus clubs and organizations at the Sept. 20 meeting.

Melissa Boege, President of SGA, revisited last week's complaints that Leafs & Grains, Nathans, the Pirate Express and on occasion Pirates Pizza were all closed on the weekends.

After contacting Anthony Frungillo, vice president of Gourmet Dining Services, it was revealed that "it was going to be an exchange; either the commuter caf will be open or the Cove," said Boege.

In commenting on the "slowness" of the Cove, Boege said that they are still working out the kinks and are waiting for key pieces of equipment. The SGA said that they will continue to look into that.

Other business that SGA announced was several different co-sponsorship amounts given to clubs on campus.

The Martin Luther King Scholarship Association was awarded $ 2,376 for their retreat to the Rocky Mountain Bible Camp, while the French Club was awarded $150 for their upcoming movie on the green. A representative from Be Their Voice came before the Senate to ask for $1,980.

Be Their Voice is an on campus organization that was started in 2005 to raise money for the Jersey Animal Coalition, a no kill animal shelter here in South Orange

They came before the Senate in an desperate attempt to find $1,980 to buy 600 orange shirts to sell. Proceeds would go to the Jersey Animal Coalition.

SGA Treasurer Mark Buryk recommended they give only $1,320, which is 60 percent of their asking price, because the group is still waiting to see how much they will receive from Housing and Residence Life.

Speaker and senator at large, Ivan Vilela announced that diplomacy senator, Kendall Szulewski-Francis, resigned due to a conflict with her Resident Assistant position.

Although Szulewski-Francis resigned, vice-president Dana Kappel said that the Senate application turnout went very well and that they will have almost a full Senate soon enough.

Ashley Duvall can be reached at Ashley.Duvall@student.shu.edu.