Seton Hall falls hard to Creighton

The Seton Hall baseball team fell to Creighton, 11-1, on Friday afternoon at Richmond County Bank Ballpark in Staten Island.

The loss drops the Pirates to 16-19 on the season and is the second loss in as many days to Creighton, who bested the Pirates 5-1 yesterday. Creighton held the Pirates to a mere one run and six hits and struck early against Pirate starter David Festa. Festa gave up home runs to Jason Allbery and Will Richardson to make it 3-0 Creighton by the third inning. Festa exited after three innings of work, giving up three runs on six hits.

From there, things only got worse for Seton Hall. Relievers Hunter Waldis and Nick Payero combined to give up seven runs in the fifth inning, which broke the game wide open and made it 10-0 Creighton. Creighton tacked on an 11th run in eighth against Sean Miller before Blake Espinal shut Creighton down with a 1-2-3 inning in the ninth, the lone bright spot for Pirate pitchers on the day.

baseball-420-1024x576

The Pirates scored their only run of the day in the sixth against Creighton starter Denson Hull as Casey Dana singled, stole second, and scored on an RBI single by Matt Toke. Dana finished 2-for-4 on the day, his 12th multi-hit game of the season, and Toke went 1-for-3 with a walk. Sebastiano Santorelli, Christian Del Castillo, and Tyler Shedler-McAvoy also had one hit each. The Pirates were held without an extra base hit for the first time since an April 12 loss to TCU.

The Pirates hope to rebound tomorrow in the final game of the series with Creighton, with a 1 p.m. first pitch.

Matthew Collins can be reached at matthew.collins@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Matt98533108.