Baseball extends winning streak to four with win over NJIT

The Seton Hall baseball team took down NJIT by a final score of 8-4 in an action-packed game on Tuesday evening, extending its win streak to four games and improving its record to 7-12 overall.

By the second inning, the Pirates lead 4-0. David Haberman hit a three RBI homerun to left field, and Steve Grober directly followed that with a solo homerun to left field. Seton Hall tacked on four more runs in the fifth inning, as NJIT walked six Pirates. By the end of the game, NJIT went through five pitchers.

baseball-32719-1024x576

Haberman lead the team in RBIs with four, while Christian Del Castillo, Connor Hood and Thomas Holdorf each had one RBI.

In the second inning, Matt Toke singled through the right side and Holdorf singled to center field, setting up Haberman’s three RBI homerun. Jerry Huntzinger singled to shortstop before stealing second base. The Pirates ended the inning with four runs, five hits and one player left on base.

The third and fourth innings were unproductive for both teams as the Pirates finished with zero runs, hits and errors to move onto the fifth inning, still leading 4-0.

NJIT scored one run in the eighth inning and tried for a comeback in the ninth, but despite its best efforts, the Pirates were able to hold on and secure the victory.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.