Pirates start strong but ultimately fall to Friars

After a strong showing through the first half on Friday night against Providence, the Seton Hall women’s basketball team fell by a final of 82-75, dropping to 14-9 and 6-6 in Big East play.

At the end of the penultimate quarter, the Friars went on a strong run and racked up enough points to come within three of Seton Hall. The quarter ended at 56-53, with the Pirates clutching on to a lead that was as much as 13 midway through the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Seton Hall fell behind quickly and spent the remainder of the game chasing down Providence to no avail.

Setonian-Elmore-Providence-1024x576
Desiree Elmore had a career-high 22 points in the losing effort. Photo via SHU Athletics.

Early on, Shadeen Samuels carried the team with 12 out of the team’s 21 first quarter points, and she finished with 17. Desiree Elmore also had a strong showing, scoring six points in the opening period, finishing with 22 points and six rebounds.

With the score tied after one quarter, Inja Butina started the second with a three-pointer, and Elmore and Samuels followed that up by making a layup each, putting the Pirates ahead 28-23.

Ahead by nine, Seton Hall started the third quarter on a high note, building the lead up to 13 with 6:18 remaining in the period.

But while the fourth quarter was high scoring for both teams, the Pirates were unable to come out on top following the Friars late third quarter run. Providence outscored Seton Hall 29-22 in the quarter and closed out the come-from-behind win.

Seton Hall will return to action on the road on Feb. 10 at 2 p.m. against Creighton.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.