Consulting group founder finds silver lining in baseball injury

This year, a new club called the Seton Hall Consulting Group, was launched on campus by Michael Riley, a sophomore mathematical finance and information technology major.

Consulting-Group-courtesy-of-Michael-Riley-1024x768
Courtesy of Michael Riley

After he stopped playing for Seton Hall’s baseball team after a series of injuries, Riley said he needed something to occupy his time with, and began the club as a result of a passion for business.

Riley explained that one side of the club is focused on educating members about success in consulting through club leaders and other various successful speakers. Last semester, the club brought in speakers from Bain and Company to educate their members.

“The club is a great experience for the students because they really get to put into practice what they learn in the classroom,” Riley said. “Thinking critically, learning what it means to be responsible in the business world, speaking to clients. It’s all real work, and [the club] takes it very seriously.”

The club also provides pro-bono consulting services to small businesses, Riley said. The club facilitates around four projects a semester, where they offer business recommendations to clients. This semester, the group will be assisting with digital marketing for a SHU alumni’s decaf coffee startup.

The group will also be working with HLS Juice Bar & Grill in Maplewood to help them connect with Seton Hall students. According to Riley, teams of students create a plan to be delivered to the client and consistently stay in touch throughout the semester with meetings, and at the end, provide a final recommendation.

“People say, ‘What do you know? You’re in college.’ But we know a lot more than people think simply because we’re living in it,” Riley said. “If they want to reach a 20-year-old, who knows a 20-year-old better? There is definitely value that we can bring to these clients.”

Panayioti Logothetis, a sophomore mathematical science and information technology major, serves on the club’s executive board. He said that the club serves to fill a gap in Seton Hall’s campus.

“As the world moves forward, it is moving towards consulting. It’s really cool because it matches with many disciplines – it’s not just a Stillman club; it can work with all majors and backgrounds,” Logothetis said. “There is consulting in biology, teaching…it’s an opportunity to bring the whole campus together.”

“Our overall goal is for students at Seton Hall to get into consulting firms,” Riley added. “A lot of students don’t know what consulting is and they don’t realize that anybody, from any major, can really get into it.”

Juliana Arrabito, a sophomore marketing major, is also a member of the club and described her experience.

“I joined the club to increase my involvement on campus. I hadn’t known much about consulting prior to joining, but I felt very welcome and comfortable,” Arrabito said. “Even if you know nothing about consulting, the e-board makes it easy to work with other members and learn about what an exciting field this is.”

Arrabito said that the club has brought many positive effects for all involved and will only continue to grow.

“This is the best experience I have had with a club on campus,” Arrabito said. “I have met and connected with many people through the Consulting Group and hope to continue to do so. I believe this club provides career knowledge and opportunities that are extremely valuable and worth pursuing.”

Elise Kerim can be reached at elise.kerim@student.shu.edu.