Jimenez leads Pirates to another dominant offensive showing

The Seton Hall women’s basketball team clobbered Saint Peter’s, 90-47, on Sunday afternoon in its final non-conference home game of the 2018-19 season. Anthony Bozzella’s intense offensive tactics proved efficient once again as his team hit the 90-point mark for the sixth time this season. Saint Peter’s joined UMass Lowell, UTSA, and Wagner in teams that have suffered defeats by more than 30 points at the hands of Bozzella’s free-scoring Pirates. Nicole Jimenez was unstoppable as she put up a season-high and a career-high 33 points against the Peacocks. Jimenez had already surpassed her previous career-high of 20 points by halftime but continued to terrorize Saint Peter’s with 12 more points in the second half. In 36 minutes, she shot 73 percent from the field and set a program record for three-pointers in one match after draining nine of her 13 attempted shots. Her contributions were especially vital to Seton Hall’s transitional attacks as she led the team with nine steals to cap off an impressive performance. [caption id="attachment_25305" align="aligncenter" width="742"] Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor[/caption] Shadeen Samuels continued to display her dominance and importance to Seton Hall in the paint, claiming seven offensive and seven defensive rebounds in this match. Samuels went three for four from the free throw line and put up nine points in 29 minutes. From the bench, Selena Philoxy and Femi Funeus also played a part in propelling their side to this dominant victory. Philoxy claimed eight points, seven rebounds, three assists, and went perfect from the free throw line.. Funeus was big off the boards in the offensive half, claiming eight offensive rebounds and putting up seven points in 16 minutes. The win improves Seton Hall’s record to 7-1 and extends its win streak to three games on the spin. The win also means Bozzella’s team remains undefeated at home after six games at the historic Walsh Gymnasium. Up next, Seton Hall travels to UConn on Dec. 8 for a non-conference matchup before heading down to Florida for the West Palm Beach Invitational on Dec. 20. The Huskies’ lockdown defense will undoubtedly push the Pirates’ offensive resilience to its limits. UConn have averaged just 50.5 points against during its six-match undefeated streak since the start of the season. Justin Sousa can be reached at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu.