Taal, Matson shine at ITA Regionals

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team successfully competed over the weekend at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Eastern Regionals in New Haven, Conn. The doubles team of Melody Taal and Michal Matson was particularly impressive, advancing to the Round of 16 before being eliminated by Syracuse’s Gabriela Knutson and Guzal Yusupova, the top-seeded team in the bracket. Taal and Matson were seeded sixth out of 64 doubles teams from schools across the east coast, including Ivy League schools Yale University and Brown University, as well as other notable regional schools such as Syracuse University, the University of Connecticut, and Boston College. In their first round matchup, Taal and Matson survived an 8-6 battle with the seventh-seeded team from Brown. The duo carried that winning momentum into the second round, defeating Cassie Chung and Jacqueline Lazaro from Connecticut, 8-4. [caption id="attachment_24491" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The other doubles team competing for the Pirates, Anicka Fajnorova and Regina Pitts, lost the first round, 8-5, to Maria Tritou and Dina Hegab of Syracuse. Pitts was also solid in the singles portion of the tournament, defeating Fairfield’s Amanda Nowak, 6-2 and 6-0, before bowing out in the second round to Princeton’s Stephanie Schrage, 7-6 (8) and 6-4. Taal and Fajnorova each lost in the first round of the singles portion of the tournament. The team will return to action for the Harvard Invite Tournament in Cambridge, Mass. beginning on Oct. 19. Matthew Collins can be reached at matthew.collins@student.shu.edu.