Strong final round helps Pirates land 10th in second spring tournament

The Seton Hall women’s golf team began its two-tournament run in the Carolinas on Monday and Tuesday with a 10th place finish in the 14-team River Landing Classic in Wallace, N.C. The tournament, which was hosted by the University of North Carolina-Wilmington and East Carolina University, was the Pirates second competitive action of the spring season, following up a first place finish in the Rio Verde Invitational on Feb. 25. The Pirates could not replicate the same start they had two weeks ago, as they shot a 315 in the opening round, which was the second-highest first round total of any team. Their high first round put them at an immediate disadvantage to schools like Campbell and Memphis, who shot 286 and 283, respectively. [caption id="attachment_22065" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] However, thanks to a late-tournament push that was led by freshman Mia Kness and sophomore Lizzie Win, the Pirates finished tied for seventh on Tuesday, and were able to climb up the leaderboard as a result. In the Classic’s final round, Kness and Win both shot an even-par, 72. Kness sunk 16 pars, a birdie, and just one bogey for an even par in her third round. Win paralleled Kness’ performance with 14 pars, two bogeys and two birdies. The two combined to be Seton Hall’s top scorers on the tournament, and finished tied for 33rd place individually. Seton Hall’s senior Cassie Pantelas had the next-best score on the team, recording a 12-over-par over the three rounds. Pantelas may have been able to add an even par score of her own in the final round, if not for a 7-stroke on the par-4 ninth hole. Pantelas finished 3-over-par on Tuesday. Maddie Sager, similar to Kness and Win, also finished with her best score on Tuesday, as she shot a 2-over-par, 74 on Tuesday, which was an improvement from her 81 and 79 in rounds one and two. Macky Fouse also saved her best round for last, with a 78 in the final round that helped her finish at 22-over-par. Meanwhile, Sammie Staudt, Gianna Tomeo, and Jamie Greene all competed as individuals. The Pirates shot a 46-over-par overall on the tournament, with Campbell running away from the competition with a 7-under-par at the Classic. Campbell was the only team to shoot under par in the Classic, with co-host East Carolina finishing second with a 4-over-par. The Pirates will travel to Hilton Head Island, S.C. in the coming week, where they will take part in the Low Country Intercollegiate Tournament. The tournament, which will be hosted by Wofford University, will take place at the Moss Creek Golf Club, and begin on March 17.  Bob Towey can be reached at robert.towey@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BobTowey5.