Boccone South offers authentic Italian food and hospitality

When you enter the restaurant Boccone South in downtown South Orange, you are greeted in Italian by the staff and instantly feel an authentic Italian vibe. The mission of owner Silvio Caruso is to “deliver good Italian food” to their customers. But the restaurant offers much more. You are taken care of from the moment you walk through the door and the staff is well trained, delivering service that is nothing short of excellent. [caption id="attachment_21341" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The South Orange Italian restaurant serves homemade sauces, gelato and daily specials.
Megan O’Brien/Staff Photographer[/caption] Tien Phan, a freshman diplomacy major, currently works at Boccone South. “This is my first job, and the work environment is very friendly,” Phan said. It is a good introduction to the workforce for Seton Hall students due to its proximity to campus. Additionally, the restaurant atmosphere gives students experience in customer service and exposure to culinary discipline. Christopher McGee, a senior in the physician’s assistant program, used to work there during his sophomore year. He mentioned that in his time working there, he “can’t remember a customer not liking something.” The sauces are made in house at the beginning of the day and the menu includes traditional Italian staples. Phan recommends the rigatoni due to the “good combination of pasta and vegetable; the sausage in it is also amazing.” McGee suggests inquiring about the daily specials and said that Silvio and the head chef collaborate each day to decide which specials they want to put out for the night’s service. In the words of McGee the specials are “quite amazing” and “made fresh each day.” They also offer homemade desserts, including about 10 different gelato flavors and bread pudding. McGee recommends the restaurant to SHU students for three reasons. First, the restaurant’s prices are very reasonable. Secondly, the portion sizes are “pretty big” for what you pay for, and according to McGee, there is even enough to have leftovers. Third, McGee stated that it is a great spot if you want to go out on a date or even with some friends. Caruso mentioned that a lot of Seton Hall students dine at Boccone South when their parents come to visit them, which reinforces that Boccone is not only a great place for students, but also for anyone who visits the South Orange area. Claudia Emanuele can be reached at claudia.emanuele@student.shu.edu.