Pirates drop second straight conference road game

The Seton Hall women's basketball team lost a tough road game on Saturday night to the preseason-Big East favorite Marquette, 97-84. The loss makes for the Pirates first losing streak of the season, as Seton Hall open up Big East play 0-2. Seton Hall was led in scoring by Donnaizha Fountain, who had 16 points in the losing effort.  Fountain had 13 points in the opening 10 minutes, which led all scorers in the first quarter. The graduate transfer Fountain was almost perfect from the floor, making five of her first six shots. [caption id="attachment_21159" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The Pirates were, however, plagued by turnovers early - as they committed nine in the first quarter alone. Early in the second quarter, while down 33-20, Seton Hall managed an 8-0 run which helped turn the tide of the game. A pair of tough finishes by Kaela Hilaire in the final minute cut the Golden Eagles' lead to three at the half. Seton Hall was white-hot from the floor in the first half, shooting 70 percent from the field, including 7 of 11 from three. The high percentage shooting was a result of some improved passing for the Pirates in the second quarter, as the away side assisted on 10 of 19 field goals. Fountain and Jaquan Jackson combined for 30 of the Pirates' 47 points in the first half. Despite the encouraging end to the first half, the second was all Golden Eagles from the jump, as Marquette went on a 19-2 run and never looked back. The third quarter proved to be the turning point of the game, as The Hall was outscored 32-14, allowing last season's Big East Tournament champion to take an 82-61 lead heading into the fourth. Marquette was led by Allazia Blockton and Erika Davenport, who had 29 and 21 points. The Pirates also found themselves on the losing end of the turnover battle, with 22 turnovers compared to only seven for the Golden Eagles. Seton Hall shot 15-of-26 from beyond the arc on the evening, breaking the program record for most threes in a game, with five players scoring in double figures. Much like the previous game against DePaul, Deja Winters got hot in the second half and registered 12 points off the bench on four-of-five shooting from deep. The loss drops the Pirates to 8-5 overall and 0-2 in the Big East, following their road loss to DePaul on Thursday. The team will now travel back to South Orange for their Big East home opener against Creighton on Jan. 2. Nick Santoriello can be reached at nick.santoriello@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @NickSantoriello.