The Setonian endorses Hillary Clinton for President

The Voice

With Election Day rapidly approaching on Nov. 8, The Setonian has endorsed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton for the White House. The paper came to this decision after an Editorial Board vote by its 16 editors. No ballot was presented in the vote – instead, editors were asked to write their votes down. The final tally saw Clinton receive nine votes, while Donald Trump received two and Jill Stein one. Four members of The Setonian’s Editorial Board chose to abstain. While this particular editorial will not reflect the opinions of every one of our editors, the notion of Clinton as president is one supported by our majority. Overall, The Setonian feels that Clinton’s combination of political experience, stances on social issues and presidential-like demeanor – at least by comparison – makes her the best option among those being offered. She is pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-taxing the 1 percent, pro-LGBTQ and pro-college cost reform. Her platform best represents what the majority of our Editorial Board is looking for in this country’s next Commander-in-Chief. The Setonian acknowledges Clinton is no perfect candidate. Her scandals, whether it be her use of a private server for her emails or the controversies surrounding the Clinton Foundation, make her far from a model choice. Her persona is often robotic and she’s been known to pander rather than speak her own mind. She is though, without a doubt, the lesser of the evils running in this election. Neither third-party candidate is polling well enough to even be considered a realistic option at this point. Stein, the Green Party’s nominee, has routinely failed to elaborate on any legitimate policy proposals. Gary Johnson, the Libertarian Party’s representative, is simply inept. Then there is Republican nominee Donald Trump. With roughly two weeks to go in this election, the former reality television star has shown himself to be nothing short of an arrogant, sexist, xenophobe. Trump is an alleged sexual predator with the temperament of a child, unfit for the White House. Furthermore, he is a threat to democracy, as shown by his unwillingness to state that he will accept the results of the election, whatever they may be. Simply put, there is a better option in this election: Hillary Clinton. The Setonian understands that she may not be everyone’s ideal candidate, but we also believe she is by far the best option for this country. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Setonian’s editorial board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.