Six teams earn NCAA awards

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall Athletics

For the second consecutive year, six Seton Hall University Athletic programs have won an NCAA Public Recognition Award, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

The baseball, men’s basketball, women’s cross country, women’s golf, softball and women’s tennis teams each won the award, which is given to programs that post a multiyear Academic Progress Rate (APR) in the top ten percent of their respective sports.

“The recognition our six programs have received from the NCAA is the latest in a wonderful line of proud academic achieve- ments we have grown to expect from our student-athletes,” Seton Hall Athletic Director Pat Lyons said in a press release.

This year’s achievement marks the fourth year in a row the women’s golf, softball and women’s tennis have been recognized, the third straight for the baseball team and second for men’s basketball and women’s cross country. The men’s basketball team was one of only three basketball programs in the Metropolitan New York area to be recognized, according to a University statement.

David Heim can be reached at or on Twitter @DavidHeim12.

Author: David Heim

David is a junior journalism major at Seton Hall University. Aside from being the sports editor of The Setonian, David is a producer for Pirate TV on its weekly sports talk show 'Hall Talk.' David is also a contributing writer for AFC East Daily, where he covers the New England Patriots, as well as GothamSN, where he covers the New York Yankees. David also covers the New York Jets for DoubleG and has written for Bleacher Report.