Princeton powers past Pirates

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall Athletics

The Seton Hall baseball team fell to the Princeton Tigers, 7-4, on Wednesday at Clarke Field in Princeton, N.J.

With the loss, the Pirates (17- 8) have now lost two of their last three contests.

It was Princeton (7-10) that got on the board first. Asher Lee-Tyson’s RBI triple to right-center gave the Tigers an early 1-0 advantage.

Princeton’s early lead was short-lived. In the top half of the third, Mike Alescio hit a two-out RBI single to knot things up at 1-1. One inning later, the Pirates were able to take their first and only lead. Nelson Valerio’s second col- legiate at bat resulted in an RBI groundout, which was followed by a Zack Weigel RBI single that put the Blue and White ahead 3-1.

The Pirates held a 3-1 lead heading into the bottom of the fifth inning, but that changed after one swing of the bat. Princeton’s Danny Baer launched a two- run homerun to even the score at 3-3.

The Tigers reclaimed the lead for good in the sixth inning. An RBI single from Chad Powers and a wild pitch put the go-ahead runs on the board for Princeton to give the home team a 5-3 lead.

An RBI double in the bottom of the seventh for Princeton senior Danny Hoy and an RBI single from freshman Joe Flynn gave the Tigers insurance and extended their lead to 7-3.

After falling behind, the Pirates’ rally came up short. The Hall added one run in the eighth to close the margin to 7-4, but they were unable to find the offense to overcome their deficit.

On the mound for the Pirates was junior Zach Prendergast, who was 3-2 with a 3.14 ERA coming into the game. Prendergast went 5 2/3 innings, allowing seven hits and five earned runs while striking out four in the loss. Matt Leon allowed two earned runs in 1 1/3 innings of relief.

Seton Hall will be back in action on Friday for the first contest of a three-game home series against Quinnipiac. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. at Owen T. Carroll Field.

Matt Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu. edu or on twitter @mattzeigafuse.