Pirates win Mercer Bear Classic finale

[caption id="attachment_13807" align="aligncenter" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall softball team concluded play at the Mercer Bear Classic in Macon, Ga., on a high note with a 4-0 victory against Oakland on Sunday to wrap things up with three wins in five games. The Pirates (15-13) played well offensively out of the gate, scoring one run in the first inning and all four of their runs after the third inning. On the other side of the ball, freshman Madison Strunk threw seven innings of shut-out ball to preserve the lead and to ultimately win the game. Strunk only allowed four baserunners all game, allowing only two hits and two walks while striking out three en route to her 11th victory of the season. In the first inning, Seton Hall struck first with Valerie Suto scoring on an error after walking to lead off the game. The junior would go 3-for-3 on the day and scored twice. Seton Hall left a runner stranded but maintained the 1-0 lead through second inning. In the third inning, the bats woke up and helped the Pirates extend the lead to 4-0. After both Suto and Noel Lent singled, an Alexis Walkden triple brought them both home. The sophomore came to score later in the inning to give Strunk all she needed in an overall dominant effort from her and the Pirates. Seton Hall controlled all facets of Sunday’s game, out-hitting Oakland 10-2, while not committing any errors in the field. Both Suto and Lent had been bright spots for the Hall throughout the weekend, as Lent hit .500 (8-for-16) during the tournament, and she and Suto combined to go 5-for-7 and scored three of the four Pirate runs on the day. The Pirates return home to Mike Sheppard, Sr. Field on Tuesday, March 22 for a double-header against Saint Peter’s. Game 1 will begin at 3 p.m. with the second game to following immediately after.