Baseball: Pirates held scoreless in opener

[caption id="attachment_13331" align="aligncenter" width="606"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall baseball team was held scoreless in a tough 7-0 loss to the Missouri Tigers during its first game of the season in Fort Myers, Fla. The game was a scoreless battle through the first two innings, until Seton Hall starting pitcher Shane McCarthy gave up a solo home run in the bottom of the second, followed by two more runs in the fifth. Missouri came out firing again during the seventh inning behind four runs against reliever Ryan Testani. Seton Hall had its best chance to score during the eighth inning. The bases were loaded with two outs, but the Pirates could not take advantage. Leading the Hall was junior Mikael-Ali Mogues, who notched a pair of hits in three at bats, one of which was a double. Chris Chiaradio and Matt Fortin also earned a hit each to combine with Mogues for a collective four hits. No other Pirate managed more than one hit in the face of an impressive eight-inning shut out from Missouri pitcher Reggie McClain. McCarthy had a solid performance himself as he finished the game with four strikeouts and one walk. The Pirates are expecting to get back on track, though, after receiving some top-40 votes in the Collegiate Baseball Preseason poll. In their next game, they will look to avoid leaving fewer runners on base after having stranded five in their opener, two of which were in scoring position. Continuing with the four-game series, Seton Hall will take on Missouri again in a double-header on Saturday. The first game will kick off at 1:00 p.m., and the series will conclude on Sunday. Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash.