Softball loses first game of 2016

The Seton Hall softball team lost its first game of the season in a 3-1 battle at Louisiana Monroe on Sunday. It was the final contest of the Mardi Gras Classic. [caption id="attachment_13186" align="alignright" width="150"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] With the loss, the Pirates travel back to South Orange with a 4-1 record to kick off their 2016 campaign. Junior New Jersey native Lauren Fischer drove in the lone run for the Pirates in the second inning. Alex Rabbetts was driven home after doubling earlier in the inning. The Warhawks came back in the fourth inning and scored three runs to go up 3-1. With two outs in the top of the seventh, the Pirates had the tying run at the plate, but Louisiana Monroe starter Melanie Coyne got a clutch strikeout to secure the victory. Despite a few opportunities, the Pirates fell short in their rally effort and suffered their first defeat of the season. The Pirates only managed four hits throughout the game. Rabbetts, Fischer, Chrisa Head and Faith Laudano all collected a hit each. Despite not getting a hit, second baseman Yasmin Harrell drew three walks. The Pirates will be back in action when they travel to Conway, South Carolina, to play in the Kickin Chcken Classic at Coastal Carolina. They will start on Friday with Towson at 11:45 a.m. SHU will be playing a total of five games during the tournament. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu.