Richardson, Richardson-Smith too much for Xavier

[caption id="attachment_12824" align="aligncenter" width="614"]Katie Cahalin/Staff Photographer Katie Cahalin/Staff Photographer[/caption] The Seton Hall women’s basketball team came out victorious over the Xavier Musketeers, 82-66, on Friday night. With the win, the Pirates now sit at 15-4 overall and 5-3 in Big East play. SHU got off to a slow start defensively as the Musketeers were in control of the lead up until the second quarter. But once the second quarter began, the Pirates worked to make sure their opponents didn’t see the lead for the rest of the game. “I thought we did a much better job in the second quarter of putting pressure on them and pressing them and exploiting their weaknesses. I thought we did a really good job getting the momentum and energy back,” head coach Tony Bozzella said. Senior Tabatha Richardson-Smith led her team in scoring with 27 points. “I try to just go out there and play hard and just improve every game and get my team involved,” she said. “I know they scout me a lot, so if they’re up with me, I make a pass and just try and play as much team basketball as best I can.” Graduate guard Shakena Richardson came out second in scoring with 23 points. She attributes her and her team’s big game to being back in Walsh for the first time in 17 days and having three games in a row on the road. “We love playing at home. Everybody’s here, everybody comes out. It’s a great environment to play in and it really gets us going. Three games in a row is hard regardless, but playing away was really tough. We had to get through the rough patch, and we did. Now we’re just trying to get past it.” Other starting scorers for the Pirates included Tiffany Jones and Lubirdia Gordon with six points each, and Aleesha Powell with five points. The Pirates will be back in action on Sunday when they take on the Butler Bulldogs. To be successful in that game, Richardson focused on staying consistent. “Same thing we did tonight,” she said. “We got to start with defense. But I want us to earlier, not have to play catch-up in the beginning.” Despite the storm, game time is still set for 2 p.m.   Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at olivia.mulvihill@student.shu.edu or on twitter @OliviaMulvihill.