"Bounce 'N Trounce" event rallies for Seton Hall-Rutgers

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="415"] shu.edu[/caption] The sixth annual 24-hour “Bounce ‘N Trounce” event gathered more than 28 organizations and departments to rally school spirit for the annual men’s basketball Garden State Hardwood Classic against Rutgers University, in which SHU defeated Rutgers 84-55. Hosted by the Student Alumni Association (SAA) and the Student Government Association (SGA), clubs and organizations signed up for time slots throughout the day of the event and held contests and activities at each of their tables. One member from each participating team was required to bounce a basketball at all times. The 2015 “Bounce ‘N Trounce” successfully reached its highest record with 191,081 bounces, said SAA Vice President Nicole Sgherza, compared to last year’s 173,588 bounces. A mobile counting application is downloaded to participants’ phones to keep track of the number of bounces. SGA Academic Affairs chairwoman Ami Patel, sophomore nursing major, said that she enjoys that many attendees come to the annual “Bounce ‘N Trounce,” with 900 attendees this year. “It’s a great way to get student involvement. I think it was a great way to end ‘Spirit Week’ and kick off the holiday season at The Hall,” Patel said. Seton Hall’s Spirit Week 2015 started on Monday Nov. 30 with a week full of holiday events including ornament decorating, the campus tree lighting, and a movie marathon all leading up to “Bounce ‘N Trounce” on Friday afternoon. Elianni De La Cruz, sophomore economics major, planned and contributed to the success of the 2015 “Bounce ‘N Trounce” as a member of SAA and the SGA chairwoman of Student Life. "SAA always strives to build school spirit and I think it's incredible that we dedicate an entire 24 hours to continue tradition and establish that school spirit,” De La Cruz said. “Every year the event grows and it's exciting to be a part of such a big event.” Emma Creter, junior nursing major, participated in the event with the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority. She is the vice president of campus relations within the sorority and says that she finds that actively participating in campus events unites the SHU community. “I have to say I was actually nervous to bounce the ball, I didn’t want to drop it,” Creter said. “I love when the whole Seton Hall community comes together, especially to support the basketball team. Basketball season is my favorite part of being a Pirate.” Gabrielle Heffernan can be reached at gabrielle.heffernan@student.shu.edu