AOII still growing as newest sorority on campus

[caption id="attachment_11115" align="alignnone" width="419"]Courtesy of AOII Chapter Courtesy of AOII Chapter[/caption] Having recruited its first 73 colony members in fall 2014 and 37 members in spring 2015, the Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII) sorority continues to grow and adapt to the Greek Community at Seton Hall. Jackie Snyder, AOII Chapter Adviser, hired by the Alpha Omicron Pi International Headquarters supervises all of AOII’s activities alongside Chapter President Erin Lott. Lott, a senior math major, was elected in November 2014. Over the past year, the organization has participated in several philanthropic events and projects, including “Strike Out Arthritis with the New York Yankees,” an event co-sponsored with the New York Yankees that over 30 sorority members attended. AOII’s philanthropy is arthritis research and education. The members have been educated by a guest speaker from the Arthritis Foundation at their chapter meetings. AOII has also volunteered at an elementary school in Bloomfield, NJ, and has hosted “Silly String an AOII” on Halloween. They were also active with Sigma Pi at Relay for Life last spring in “Pie a Pi,” and sponsored a drive for feminine products for homeless women. All proceeds from philanthropic events go towards arthritis research and education. Lott said that AOII is involved with other Greek organizations on campus, supporting events such as Delta Phi Epsilon’s powderpuff football game and Alpha Gamma Delta’s Date for Diabetes Auction. “We look forward to hosting our largest philanthropy event next month on October 16,” Lott said. The event, Spike Out Arthritis, is a volleyball tournament to support arthritis research and education. AOII’s colonization has been a learning process with some challenges over this past year. Lott says that these challenges come mostly from adjusting to the Greek Life community and making sure members understand what is expected of them. “We have been very successful this past year due to the hard work and dedication of our (members), and we owe a huge part of that success to the support of the campus community,” Lott said. “We are so lucky to have the support of not only the Greek community, but the entire Seton Hall and international AOII communities.” Riya Arora, senior public relations major and active AOII member, said she has had a positive experience with the AOII organization. “It has been an overall amazing experience,” said Arora. “I’ve met some of my closest friends because of AOII and have definitely become more confident. AOII has really helped me grow as a person.” Daniela Geraldo can be reached at diana.geraldo@student.shu.edu