Students prep for career Fair

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="217"] shu.edu[/caption] With the Career Fair approaching Thursday, Sept. 17, there are a few steps students can take to get the most out of the experience. Employers visit Seton Hall with the serious intention to hire Pirates as employees and interns. Career fairs give students a chance to make a stronger impression in person compared to a resume. Through attending the fair, employers see how serious students are about networking and a career. Jacqueline Maginnis, Assistant Director of the Career Center, said that before students even walk inside the career fair, they should have their resume, drafted questions for each employer and a notepad to take notes. Students should leave their backpack at home or in their dorm in order to present themselves more professionally. Prior to the event, the Career Center staff was available for walk-in resume critique sessions and further assistance. Reesa Greenwald, the Director of the Career Center, advises freshmen to attend the fair to get practice and improve their networking skills. According to Greenwald, employers being able to put a face to a name distinguishes that student from the hundreds of resumes they receive. “Each student should show some confidence in their abilities and greet the recruiter with a smile,” said Bob Franco, senior assistant director at the Career Center. Students who need a bit of a push can be assisted by Pirate mentors who will act as a liaison between the employer and student. These mentors are Seton Hall alum wearing a ribbon on their shirt and will be available to introduce students to employers. Greenwald suggests students target employers on the top of their list, but be open to speaking with others to avoid making assumptions. Also, she said students should not waste time standing in long lines, but walk around to other employers and come back. Maginnis said students should send a follow-up and thank you emails to employers. Additionally, when students ask for a business card, they should write notes to remember talking points of the conversation to incorporate into the email. The Career Fair is scheduled for today in the fieldhouse from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Ryanne Boyer can be reached at ryanne.boyer@student.shu.edu.