Student acheives desired internship

Even as a high school student, Joseph Rofrano knew he wanted to work for ESPN.

The senior sports management and marketing major set out to reach his goal by completing for internships during his undergraduate career at Seton Hall University. He began working with Seton Hall Athletics as a marketing intern and then pursued internships with Major League Baseball, Pride Products, and finally ESPN.

Rofrano attributes his ability to earn an internship at ESPN to early successes with his internships. “With all of that experience under my belt I felt that gave me a well-rounded resume and was the main reason I was able to land an internship with ESPN,” Rofrano said.

Rofrano believes that The Career Center is the key to maximizing a student’s potential. “The thing that differentiates Joe from other students is that he has made full use of the Career Center and our services,” said Beth Branigan, assistant director of The Career Center. “Joe not only came in to work on a resume, he has also focused on interview skills and how to best present himself.”

In addition to having an impressive resume, Rofrano considers networking to be a valuable skill.

“Joe is a natural networker and is willing to look at all opportunities from marketing to sales,” Branigan said.

Looking back on his time at Seton Hall, Rofrano wishes that he started applying to internships sooner. “You are never under qualified for any internship that is out there, so don’t be afraid to apply as a freshman, even if they are looking for a junior or a senior,” he said. He advises young students to make an appointment at The Career Center to have their resumes reviewed.

With plans to graduate in May, Rofrano has a position lined up to work for the New York Yankees in the summer as a seasonal ticket sales intern. His future goals include working for his favorite teams, the Tampa Bay Rays and Atlanta Falcons, and being able to help a professional sports team win a championship.

After gaining experience in the workforce as a student Rofrano is confident that his transition from student to professional will be natural.

“I spent the past two summers living on my own and commuting into the city from South Orange for my internships and that has helped prepare me for life after college,” he said.

In addition to studying and working at his internship, Rofrano writes for the Stillman Exchange as a sports business writer and continues to work for Seton Hall Athletics.

Jessica Thomulka can be reached at jessica.thomulka@student.shu.edu.