Withdrawal period extended after snow closes University

Due to the snowstorms, Senior Associate Provost Joan Guetti said, there was a need for an ex- tension to the withdrawal period that must include a professor or dean's signature.

"The Office of the Provost moved the date for withdrawal from classes with the professor's/ dean's signature from March 7 to March 21," Guetti said. "This was in response to a Faculty Senate resolution. There was a concern that students (needed) sufficient time to make an informed decision regarding the need to withdraw."

Alterations due to snowstorms are nothing new for Seton Hall, although recent mild winters have erased memories of harsh conditions. In the 1990s, snowstorms were common, including the two largest blizzards of the decade, in 1993 and 1996, according to University Archivist Alan Delozier.

Delozier said that the blizzard in March 1993, the "Storm of the Century," hit during SHU's spring break, so no classes were canceled.

The University actually built in an extra day for exam week in December in case of snow to ensure that exams wouldn't have to be held on a Saturday, according to a 1970 Setonian article.

"As for the other major event - 'The Northeastern Blizzard of 1996' from Jan. 6-10, 1996 was the one that had the most impact on campus," Delozier said.

The accounts of the snowstorm from the Setonian in 1996 included quotes from students who were pleased with the way the university handled the situation, especially for time to make up work.

Almost 20 years later, opinion hasn't changed among students.

Junior Steven Mota said: "My professors have been pretty understanding about the snow and are understanding of the fact that some of us have to drive. They have extended exam dates so we could have more time when we have snow days, so I don't have complaints."

Yet with all of the snow days, some rumors have circulated about potentially extending the semester.

"In looking over Administrative Announcements and other information leads, there was no mention of makeup days as a formal policy outside of the mention of the built in extra day from the 1970 snow event," Delozier said, "so the Academic Calendar during the 1990s in particular have traditionally set aside a date for Commencement that is 'tentative' just in case there is a need for extra time to cover class sessions."

Eric Hostettler can be reached at eric.hostettler@student.shu.edu.