Website offers courses from across the country

It is now possible for students to take courses offered by the University of Notre Dame without leaving South Orange.

A new website, Semester Online, allows students to take online courses from a variety of institutions such as the University of Notre Dame, Northwestern University, Boston College and Washington University in St. Louis.

The website emphasizes a "unique" new technique of presenting online courses that uses live communication to simulate a classroom setting, giving students the opportunity to "be in class" at universities such as Emory and Brandeis, from South Orange.

According to Senior Associate Provost Joan Guetti, students who plan to take courses from other accredited universities should first consult their academic adviser. The course catalogue states that students are eligible to take up to 12 elective credits from different universities; however, although Seton Hall accepts credits, it does not accept grades.

Courses from Semester Online are three credits each. The credit hours are based on the contact hours a student completes for a course.

Although Semester Online is a website and is not itself an accredited university, it is a medium for accredited institutions to offer classes on the website.

Some courses include How to Rule the World offered by Boston College and Baseball and American Culture from Emory University. More information about registration can be accessed on the website. http://semesteronline.org/

Mary Marshall can be reached mary.marshall@student.shu.edu.