Residence Life can help with self-harm situations

If you feel as if your roommate or a resident on your floor was a danger to himself, herself or others, you shouldn't be afraid to speak up.

"There are many ways in which a student who is concerned about their roommate (or any other student for that matter) can seek assistance," Director of Residence Life Tara Hart said.

One option is Seton Hall's Behavioral Intervention Team, or BIT. The BIT supports and ensures the safety of the Seton Hall community. According to its official blog, "The team receives, collects, assesses, and when appropriate, acts upon information regarding students of concern."

According to the blog, students can reach out to any member of the team if they have a situation with potential danger to themselves or others. The team creates a plan based on the situation and information at hand, aids students in finding help, and guides them in continuing at Seton Hall safely and successfully with a plan unique to their situation, according to the blog.

The website provides contact information for BIT as well as options for help off campus. In addition, the site lists concerns that might require attention or provide a reason to contact the team. Students can access this information at http://blogs.shu.edu/bit/.

Hart said a student's first instinct might be to alert a member of the residence life staff, and this is not a problem because any member of staff is able to help a student with a concern. According to Hart, "RAs are trained on how to respond and contact the resources they need for emergency situations."

Hart also said if a student is concerned but feels there is no immediate threat, Housing and Residence Life can still be of assistance. She said staff members are always available to listen to student concerns. According to Hart, the main office in Duffy Hall is open during business hours, but help is always available from the Public Safety or from the staff at the front desks.

Mary Marshall can be reached at mary.marshall@student.shu.edu.