Seton Hall welcomes class of 2017

The freshmen class of 2017 was officially welcomed into the Seton Hall community Sunday August 25 during the annual convocation ceremony in the Walsh Gymnasium.

The hour-long ceremony began with the procession of the Seton Hall University bagpipers, and was lead by Master of Ceremonies Vice President of Student Services Tracy Gottlieb. Freshmen students and families filled the gymnasium to experience invocation into the university together.

Convocation is a Seton Hall tradition for freshmen every year. It welcomes students not only into the student body, but also unites them as a class together as a whole under the motto of Seton Hall: Hazard Zet Forward.

“The ceremony made us feel more welcome and part of a community instead of just a freshman,” Nicole Williamson said. “We’re all in the same boat.”

Students were encouraged to become “active and engaged members of the community” in a speech made by Student Government Association President, Joe Donato.

“It was a very uplifting speech. Everybody was pumped up… he created a sense of unity,” Freshman Dylan O’Byrne said.

“I’m super excited to be a pirate!” freshman Devynn Nolan said.

Mary Marshall can be reached at mary.marshall@student.shu.edu

Author: Mary Marshall

Mary Marshall is the Editor In Chief of The Setonian. She is a senior at Seton Hall, originally from Chicago. Mary is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is a former intern for NBC Dateline, Tom Brokaw and MSNBC. Mary reports on local crime and breaking news on campus.