Philanthropy Committee aims to keep students connected

The Class of 2013 has recently created the Philanthropy Committee in hopes of keeping students connected after leaving Seton Hall University.

The committee was created to help students stay engaged and involved after graduation, mainly by encouraging dona­tions that help the continued improvement of Seton Hall.

"We want to set SHU up for success by giving others the education or experience they are looking for," said co-founding com­mittee member and senior political science major Christian Warneke.

"Sometimes you have to give a little green to make Seton Hall a little more blue," co-founder Quemars Ahmed said. He is a se­nior majoring in diplomacy and history.

Most schools already have philanthropy committees, according to Warneke. These committees host fundraising and promotion­al events, and their goals are to give gifts or leave legacies in the name of the class.

"Every class should leave a mark," said co-founding member and senior history ma­jor Russ Gautach.

Around campus there are benches, stat­ues or even clock towers donated by senior classes: the committee could raise money for donations like those, Gautach said.

Funds donated are a factor consid­ered in college rankings, making them vital to the future of any school, accord­ing to Ahmed.

"Even if your experience here wasn't the best, donating could give future students better opportunities," Ahmed said.

The committee aims to promote donations to a number of different funds. Alumni donations can go to de­partments students wish see improve, school or college donations, student scholarships or student emergency funds, which support students who suf­fer financial, personal or medical trag­edies that require monetary assistance during the school year.

There are also donations in the form of gifts to favorite faculty, staff or ad­ministrators, Gautach said. The recipi­ent will get a certificate of thanks and be notified of the student's donation.

The committee is looking for new members and is creating Facebook and Twitter accounts to raise awareness. They are also funded through the alum­ni relations department, giving them a budget that they intend to use on incen­tives or promotional events.

Victoria Plate can be reached at vic­toria.plate@student.shu.edu.