Anti-violence panel remembers Moore

The Educational Opportunity Program's Student Organization held a program called "No Moore Evidence" on Tuesday that aimed to enlighten students about the different cases of violence that occur on various college campuses and the importance of on-and-off-campus safety.

According EOPSO President Sharon Dinkins, the program was a panel discussion analyzing a few different cases of college students who lost their lives to senseless acts of violence. The featured panelists were Seton Hall students who were each personally affected by the death of Jessica Moore.

Moore was shot at an off-campus party on Sept. 25, 2010.

"It is important to know of such situations to limit the possibilities of history repeating itself," Dinkins said. "Most importantly, it is important for students to know of previous acts of violence in order to understand the signs that may lead to dangerous situations. For example, altercations, anger or aggression in others, and unsafe or uneasy environments."

Dinkins was inspired to create this event after the tragic loss of Jessica Moore, she said.

"The program was an idea of mine a year ago in efforts to commemorate my close friend Jessica Ann Moore who was killed in a random shooting at an off campus party due to a senseless act of violence two years ago," she said.

Senior and No Moore Evidence panelist Jessica Townsend was a witness that night.

"I have witnessed an act of violence that affected many, injured some and ended the life of one," Townsend said.

Senior Delores Sarfo-Darko was also a witness that night and joined the No Moore Evidence panel discussion.

"It is always important to raise awareness and learn about violence," Sarfo-Darko said. "I believe it is one of the best ways to combat the epidemic. Today's society and youth have to know that violence is not the answer. In fact, it is the cowardly way to handle disagreements."

Sophomore Chan Lee said he didn't personally know Moore but still feels affected.

"One of the solutions to prevention is earlier education," Lee said. "Even though it was a gruesome event, it should be talked about. She should not be forgotten."

Christopher Adams can be reached at christopher.adams@student.shu.edu.