October features International Celebration

October is international celebration month at Seton Hall, and the Office of International Programs has a packed schedule of events for students.

Activities include a film series, meet and greets with international students, Irish dance lessons, calligraphy workshops and a three-part series called "Music from the World."

"Events that take place during the International Celebration highlight the diversity and the beauty of other cultures," said Kirk Rawn, international celebration committee chair, who has been a part of the events since 2007.

"By studying and demonstrating an appreciation of other cultures, we can enhance our understanding of the world in which we find ourselves," Rawn said.

She said that she aims to have students learn to appreciate the diversity of different cultures and take part in the events.

Rawn said she thinks the expansion from a week was a good idea.

"This expanded time frame provides more opportunities to include events that are scheduled by student clubs and organizations," she said.

The extension also allows multiple film and music series throughout the month, including the "Music from Around the World" series that meets each Wednesday in the Pirate's Cove and the 10-part series, "Catholicism: Journey Around the World and Deep into Faith," which will take place in the Campus Ministry Lounge.

International celebration month also offers students the opportunity to consider SHU's Study Abroad programs.

Senior Charlene Chisolm, who works in the office of international programs, said studying abroad is a great way to not only learn a language but learn a culture.

"It gives you a foot ahead," she said. "Not many people can say they have studied here in America and not many people can say they have studied abroad. It is a very different experience that not many people can say they have had."

Faculty-led programs have not been scheduled yet but there is usually an opportunity to study abroad during each semester as well as in the winter and summer breaks.

Eric Hostettler can be reached at eric.hostettler@student.shu.edu.