Sophomore publishes second book, completing two-part series

A Seton Hall University soph­omore published his second novel last month which was picked up by Barnes&Noble, among other major distribu­tors.

Luke LaChac, of Sparta, N.J., finished the novel last year.

The book, "17: Sky's Limit," is the second book in a two-part series.

LaChac's first novel, "17: Sky Illuminating," was published in the fall of 2010 during his senior year of high school.

While LaChac's first novel was available in local book­stores, "17: Sky's Limit" will be available in 30,000 book­stores nationwide, including Barnes&Noble, IndieBound.org, and Alibris.com.

"I believe success is relative," LaChac said.

"While I am proud of my re­cent accomplishments, I refuse to reflect for too long knowing that there is so much more po­tential in time spent working hard on something I love."

LaChac began writing at 16, inspired by a high school teacher's daily conversations on universal truth, which he disagreed with wholeheartedly.

"What's funny about the situ­ation is she wanted us to think about universal truth," LaChac said. "But I ended up writing about the opposite of that. I wrote the entire book on rela­tivism."

"It was in her class that I wrote the majority of the first book instead of taking notes," he added with a laugh.

LaChac describes his first nov­el as a stream-of-consciousness rebuttal to his teacher's argu­ments, something she would not let him physically voice, so he did so through the journal of his main character, Sky.

Sky is a 17-year-old high school student who, through journaling at the request of his psychiatrist, explores the idea of a universal truth and at­tempts to create his own utopia based off of his beliefs, accord­ing to LaChac.

In "17: Sky's Limit," LaChac explores the legitimacy behind the argument of a universal truth in order to give his series balance.

"I tried to explore both phi­losophies," said LaChac, "But there's always an impasse be­tween the two sides, and shows that in both are a legitimate ar­gument."

LaChac wrote his first novel without the intention of ever publishing it, until a teacher encouraged him to do so.

While the book was complet­ed when he was 17, it was not published until he was 18, due to his status as a minor and not being able to sign a publishing contract, LaChac said.

The "17" in LaChac's book titles, did not refer to his char­acter's age. It is the number LaChac's childhood friend wore on his soccer jersey un­til he died in fourth grade, ac­cording to LaChac.

LaChac intends to schedule local book signings throughout the year, including one at Seton Hall. He has also begun writing a new novel, separate from the Sky series.

LaChac is president of Seton Hall's literary magazine, The Chavez, a brother of Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity, a member of the National Society of Col­legiate Scholars and on Dean's List.

LaChac is studying to obtain a tri-degree in secondary edu­cation, special education and history. He hopes to continue an education in American his­tory.

Though he began an early ca­reer as an author, LaChac has more in mind for himself.

"I'm not only interested in writing," LaChac said. "You can't live your life on a pla­teau. I'm trying to branch out by trying as many new things as possible."

Ethan Arnowitz can be reached at ethan.arnowitz@ student.shu.edu