Hall mourns loss of Dean DePierro

Seton Hall lost a longtime friend when Dr. Joseph DePierro passed away on Monday, Sept. 17.

The Dean Emeritus of the College of Education and Human Services, DePi­erro has worn many hats at Seton Hall University. He studied here as an un­dergraduate student, a faculty member, program director and department chair. DePierro was an educator at Seton Hall for 42 years.

DePierro was an enthusiastic leader for the College of Education and Hu­man Services. Professors under him fondly look back on the encouragement the provided them and his openness to new ideas and creativity.

The Dean of College of Education and Human Services Grace M. May fondly recalls him as a professor's dean and a "natural teacher."

He whole heartedly believed in Seton Hall's missions to serve students and families.

DePierro dedicated his life to educa­tion. He served as voice in the educa­tion community to encourage profes­sionalism. He also advocated for school improvements in New Jersey.

DePierro was awarded the McQuaid Medal at Seton Hall for his interactions with students.

He also was a participant in Nutley's UNICO organization and was a mem­ber of the scholarship committee. DePi­erro prided himself on his work on Seton Hall's Equal Opportunity Program.

DePierro took his passion for educa­tion outside of New Jersey when he be­gan working with schools in Louisiana damaged by Hurricane Katrina. He admired the culture and history of New Orleans.

Outside of the classroom, DePierro en­joyed traveling, making wine, garden­ing and spending time with family and friends.

He leaves behind his wife, Dr. Mary Lynn DePierro and daughter Catherine Woelfle.

DePierro goes on to join his faithful ca­nine companion, Oreo. He could often be heard saying, "If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they are!"

In lieu of flowers his family requests do­nations be made to be made in DePierro's honor to the teaching scholarships at Se­ton Hall University, awarded to students showing academic, financial need and a passion for the profession.

Erin Williams can be reached at erin.williams@student.shu.edu