SGA successfully negotiates lower ID replacement fee

The Student Government Association discussed funding for campus ministry, changes in fees for replacement IDs, the University's "From Strength to Strength" resolution and electronic voting for the upcoming SGA elections at its weekly Monday meeting.

Student Life Committee Chairman Joseph Donato updated the Senate on a change made by the Campus ID Office.

As of last semester, the office charged $20 for a temporary ID and $35 for a permanent replacement ID. Temporary ID cost will remain the same but a $15 charge will now be collected for a replacement ID.

Campus Ministry came before the group to request funding for a trip to France that would take place this July. They requested $2,800 from SGA.

"We know people all over the country, so it's more than just like we're tourists," Brother Andrew James told the Senate. "It's more like a family."

Sen. Drew Holden, Academic Affairs Chairman, urged the Senate to give the funding to Campus Ministry.

"I can't think of anything that reinforces the Catholic mission more than this," Holden said.

Campus Ministry was granted the full $2,800, with 15 senators voting for the funding, one voting against the funding, and two senators abstaining.

David Castrillon came before the Senate to urge them to pass a resolution titled "From Strength to Strength."

Senator Kenneth Larivee officially introduced the resolution at Monday's meeting.

The resolution "calls on the Office of the Provost to give a voice and a vote to students by including them in all bodies involved in the design, implementation, and evaluation of the strategic plan's goals."

The resolution was passed.

Donato also said he is working on getting printers returned to the residence halls, having one of Gourmet Dining Services' facilities open 24/7 and allowing commuters to sleep in the residence halls during exams.

Holden said he is still working on getting a study area open 24/7 on campus.

The SGA passed a vote allowing electronic ballots for the upcoming elections.

During senatorial courtesy, Sen. Gabriel urged students to email her regarding the mandated ebook usage for nursing students. Gabriel said she hopes to send out a survey to all nursing students to gather their opinions.

Jessica Card can be reached at jessica.card@student.shu.edu