University transportation clearly showing worth

When the University implemented new transportation measures in the beginning of the semester, the expectation was that they were just empty promises. Safety has always been an issue, and the University has struggled to implement programs that work in the long haul. However, since the initiation of the SHU Safe Ride and University Patrol, crime has been significantly more controlled, and these programs appear to be serving their purpose - deterring crime off-campus, providing a safer environment for students.

However, as reported this week, students still remain unhappy and are, in several ways perhaps, taking advantage of these programs because they simply misunderstand them. Public Safety reported a student calling for a ride from Rite Aid, but was later told that the Safe Ride did not travel down South Orange Avenue. She said she felt threatened, which prompted the University to send SOPD along with an escort. SOPD found no threat. Students must not abuse the privileges that Public Safety provides, and that, while these programs are meant to cater to students and provide additional feelings of safety, they are not meant to be abused, especially when it involves police.

While it may be frustrating that the Safe Ride does not stop on South Orange Avenue because of designated SHUFly stops, these hurdles are easily maneuverable, and instead of finding what is wrong or frustrating about a program, we should be admiring the fact that the Safe Ride has a huge spike in ridership compared to the CASE Van last year, illustrating that it does work, and students like using it. We must respect these privileges, not abuse them.