University appoints permanent provost

Dr. Larry A. Robinson was appointed executive vice president and provost, effective immediately, according to a broadcast e-mail from the Office of the President sent early this afternoon.

According to the e-mail, Robinson began his time at Seton Hall in 2007 when he was vice provost in the Division of Academic Affairs. Upon the appointment of Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban as interim president of the University, Robinson was named interim provost in July 2010.

In the broadcast e-mail, President Esteban said University leaders' response to Robinson's appointment was "direct and affirming."

Monsignor James Cafone, minister to the Priest Community, was quoted in the e-mail as "warmly" welcoming Robinson's appointment on behalf of the Priest Community.

Dr. David Beneteau, chair of the Faculty Senate, issued a statement regarding Robinson's appointment on behalf of the Faculty Senate, as well.

"The Faculty Senate thanks Dr. Larry Robinson for his leadership in the exceptional organizational and financial circumstances now facing the University," Beneteau is quoted as saying in the e-mail. "The Senate is pleased to endorse President Esteban's appointment of Dr. Robinson as EVP (executive vice president) and provost."

In September 2010, Robinson was selected as a finalist for the provost position at Texas Woman's University along with two others. However, another finalist, Dr. Robert Neely, was eventually named to the provost position.

Robinson has served as chief academic officer and provost at two other institutions, the University of Houston-Victoria from 1993 – 1995 and Arkansas Tech University from 1995 – 2001, according to his curriculum vitae.

Jessica Sutcliffe can be reached at jessica.sutcliffe@student.shu.edu.