Study abroad in exchange for CORE

The Center for Catholic Studies is offering two courses in which students will take spring lectures at Seton Hall and spend two weeks abroad, qualifying for CORE requirements.

"These are spring 2011 courses, so majority of teaching will occur in spring 2011 lectures at Seton Hall from March to May, and also include two weeks' study abroad in the summer," Danute M. Nourse, director of Programs for the Center for Catholic Studies, said.

The Foundations of Christian Culture courses will allow students to travel to England or Spain.

The study abroad trip to England will take place at Oxford University from June 26 to July 9, and the Spain study abroad at University of Navarra, is from Aug. 7-21. The three-credit courses are sponsored by Center for Catholic Studies and the G.K. Chesterton Institute for Faith and Culture.

According to Nourse, about 25 students are currently registered for these courses. However, the deadline to apply has been extended to March 30. The programs are limited to 20 students each and costs approximately $3,600, with tuition included in spring course registration tuition fees.

Both courses are also cross-listed for credits within the CORE, allowing students to complete CORE requirements with a travel component.

"Both courses qualify for CORE requirements, as they explore the Foundations of Christian Culture in England and in Spain through an examination of those cultures' history, philosophy, theology and literature, along with an opportunity for community and reflection," Nourse said.

"The Foundations of Christian Culture: England" course will take students abroad for two weeks to study at Oxford University. Students will examine the origins of Christian culture and visit historical sites. It may count toward Signature 3, Catholic Studies (CAST 3994), English (ENGL 3413SP) or History (HIST4282SP).

"The Foundations of Christian Culture: Spain and World Youth Day" course will have students studying at the University of Navarra in Pamplona for one week. They will also participate in World Youth Day in Madrid for the following week. The students will also take excursions to San Sebastián, Zaragoza, Loyola and Burgos.

The Spain course may count toward credit with Signature 3 (Core 3748), Latino Studies (LALS 4290) or Catholic Studies (CAST 4290).

Junior Amanda Monteleone, who will be traveling to Spain, chose the course because she has always wanted to go to Madrid.

"I am mostly looking forward to soaking in all the history that will surround me," Monteleone said. "I am excited to visit the different cities and experience once-in-a-lifetime moments."

Monteleone, who has never been on a study abroad trip before, said she will be using the class for CORE credit.

There is an application process relating with the courses. Some partial scholarship support is available for students who qualify.

Brittany Biesiada can be reached at brittany.biesiada@student.shu.edu.