Students bring awareness of LGBT during Allies Week

National Allies week begins on April 12, to celebrate the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community (LGBT) and their supporters at Seton Hall.

Allies Week is not an official recognized event by Seton Hall.

Sophomore Meghan Schuttler said Allies Week is "probably too much of a touchy issue for a Catholic university to recognize, but it probably should."

According to the Vice President of Allies Week, Caitlin Ditchfield, a sophomore Diplomacy major, there will be a table outside of the dining hall from April 12 to April 15, where members of Allies will be selling buttons and answering questions to raise awareness for the event.

In addition, the members of Allies will be asking people to join the National Day of Silence on Friday April, 16.

During the National Day of Silence hundreds of thousands of students in America take a vow of silence in order to remember the harassment the LGBT community has faced over the years. The vow of silence brings awareness to others about the LGBT members who have been silenced for life due to bullying.

Other events for the week will include a movie night and educational study on April 13, a panel discussion on April 14, a Verbal Asylum poetry reading and candlelight vigil on the Green on April 15.

Ditchfield said although Allies Week "had a relatively larger turn out last year as compared to previous years, which included students, faculty, and guests, we are planning for a stronger turnout this year and in future years."

Individuals who are interested in getting involved with Allies are welcome to atttend meetings every Tuesday in Jubilee Hall, room 132 at 8:45 p.m.

Alexandra Lubischer can be reached at alexandra.lubischer@student.shu.edu.