Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Photo by Maria Levandoski

Looking at past anniversary issues of the Setonian

Over a century, this newspaper has evolved alongside the students that have continued its legacy for this long. Today, you can access its content from almost anywhere in the world with just a few clicks and an internet connection. Yet, there was still a time when all of this content was locked behind a yearly subscription.

Originally called the “Setonian Club,” the eight members of the executive board financed the first issue. It was published on March 15, 1924, and was dedicated to Rev. John Joseph O'Connor, a Seton Hall alumnus and former bishop of Newark, for his additional financial support and "kindly encouragement" of the students.

1st Edition Front Page.png

The Setonian, 1st edition

Among the four pages of typical stories covering upcoming on-campus events and university news, there was a section dedicated to Seton Hall Preparatory School, which used to be within the campus before relocating in 1985.

One feature story said faculty and students were brainstorming ways to improve sports coverage with the integration of radio, an invention that was not even 30 years old at the time.

According to its writers, the primary objective of the Setonian was “to foster school spirit among students of our alma mater." Despite such a goal, most students were not allowed to write for the paper unless they were official members of the executive board.

By its fifth anniversary, the March 1929 issue, the Setonian received a new logo that closely resembled today’s version, featured small comics about campus life, and started using advertisement space.

Fifth Anniversary.png

The Setonian, 5th anniversary edition

Some advertisements market a photo engraving service, a stationery business and a pharmacy. Colby & McGowan Inc., the company responsible for printing each issue, also received a spot.

Within this same advertisement space, a promotion for the yearbook club indicates Seton Hall students were still referred to as the “White and Blue” at this time. This community would not be recognized as “the Pirates” until the term was used by a local sports writer during the comeback win against Holy Cross Crusaders on April 24, 1931.

Once the Setonian reached its 10th anniversary, the paper updated its formatting again, going through its most drastic changes yet. By this point, the page size had increased to better resemble a typical newspaper: black and white photographs were more prominent, and the logo now included a drawing of President’s Hall in the center.

10th - Front Page.png

The Setonian, 10th anniversary edition

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Setonian delivered to your inbox

The subscription rate also reached the new high of $1 per year—approximately $24 today. This would be the first time such a business model was used as previous issues of the Setonian were purchased individually.

This year would also mark the official establishment of the “Setonian Club,” thus implementing a new structure for the staff. All club members could now elect the next executive board and positions for writers were made available to all students, not just board members.

“The Setonian will take on new life and climb to greater heights in the college periodical world,” the writers said in the 10th-anniversary issue.

Today, the Setonian’s mission statement aligns with these same values. Now including neighboring areas as well as Seton Hall's campus, its main objective is to "deliver the news with a sense of integrity, honesty and urgency in mind."

These strings of changes over the past century have molded the Setonian into the publication it is today.

Mercer Santos writes for the Campus Life section. He can be reached at 


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Setonian