E-Board Column: Making the right choice

When I joined the Setonian as a news writer in Dec. 2022, I never imagined myself joining its editorial board, let alone its 100th editorial board. Mainly because I didn’t think I was cut out for it. 

When I was a senior in high school, I did not know what I wanted to study in college. I had a few options in mind, like photography, liberal arts, and business, but none of them felt right for me. It was the midst of the pandemic at the time, and I spent a lot of my time reading the news. That’s when I had a lightbulb moment and thought, “Why not study journalism?” I have always been an avid reader and passionate writer, so it kind of combines my two interests. I registered as a journalism major, but when I took my first journalism class, I started doubting my choice. I started doubting myself. 

Imposter syndrome was something that’s stuck around with me for as long as I can remember, making it hard for me to step out of my comfort zone. 

My advisor at the time, Dr. Tracy Gottlieb, recommended I join the Setonian and introduced me to Emma Thumann, our editor-in-chief. I was both excited and nervous when Thumann assigned me my first article; however, I was still doubtful. But after writing my first news article for the Setonian and seeing it get published, no words can describe the feeling of accomplishment I felt in that moment and that’s when I knew that I made the right choice. 

But when Campus Life Editor Peyton Hruska and Assistant Editor Esmeralda Arias asked me if I was interested in becoming their copy editor this semester, I thought to myself, “Maybe I can do this.” I’d improve my editing skills, meet new people, and step out of my comfort zone (which is something I still need to work on). So, I accepted the position. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous to meet the team, but when I recognized some familiar faces I had seen from previous classes and saw how welcoming everyone was, I was immediately put at ease.

Working for the Setonian has been one of the most fun and fulfilling things I’ve done in my life. I got to meet new people around campus and write stories on interesting topics, and now to be working with the editorial board, it’s an incredible feeling. It’s not every day you get to be part of the 100th editorial board of a newspaper, and I feel honored and grateful to have been given this opportunity to work alongside these amazing and talented staff members. 

Rachel Suazo is the Campus Life Copy Editor. She can be reached at rachel.suazo@student.shu.edu