Photo by Jillian Crain

CPC hosts circle of sisterhood week

The College Panhellenic Council hosted their Circle of Sisterhood philanthropy week from Nov. 6-10 to unite and strengthen sorority women at Seton Hall. 

Circle of Sisterhood is a national philanthropy associated with CPC and foundation dedicated to the education of women around the globe. According to their mission, women and girls all over the world are unable to reach their full potential without an education. 

Abigail Hall, a senior biology major and president of CPC, said the mission of Circle of Sisterhood is to leverage the influence of sorority women and raise financial resources for “entities around the world that are removing educational barriers for girls and women facing poverty and oppression.”

Hall said among the many events throughout the week, her favorite was CPC’s annual ‘Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader’ game night. 

Hall said all of the questions asked were related to CPC at Seton Hall or Circle of Sisterhood. She said the purpose was to fundraise money to support the mission of the philanthropy. 

“Our events focused on learning facts and trivia about women’s lack of access to education and what even a small donation can provide,” Hall said. “It’s a really effective method of spreading awareness.” 

cpc.jpg

Photo by Jillian Crain

Morgan Hurlock, a senior graphic design major and vice president of CPC, said the money raised “was not just to provide supplies, transportation, lunches and educators to communities in need but it’s to build schools in the areas.”

Hurlock said she was happy with how the week turned out and how all the CPC sororities came together to support a common cause. 

“It’s so special to see such a large group of women empower each other while working to raise the funds necessary to empower the least of us,” Hurlock said.

Hurlock said she also enjoyed the ‘Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader’ event. 

“Teams got super into the game and were really well-educated in Circle of Sisterhood as a philanthropy, which was my main priority this week,” Hurlock said. 

Hurlock said she wanted to host a series of week-long events to better educate the Greek community on the purpose of Circle of Sisterhood. 

“I came into this position realizing not many members of CPC sororities could tell me what Circle of Sisterhood is or what it does,” Hurlock said. “I wanted to make sure that by the end of the week, members of the CPC sororities could identify and understand Circle of Sisterhood and its importance.” 

She added that she sent each team study guides before the event to enable them to learn more about Circle of Sisterhood and the importance of its mission. 

Talitha Fernandes, a senior biology major, said she enjoyed attending the ‘Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader’ event. 

Fernandes said she learned a lot about the impact of education and how donations to Circle of Sisterhood help people around the world. 

“CPC’s Circle of Sisterhood philanthropy joins all organizations together under a cause that we can all get behind,” Fernandes said. “Any sorority woman and anyone in general understands how important higher education is.”

Fernandes said as part of a CPC sorority, she appreciates the hard work that CPC put into the week. 

“At every event and tabling, you could see that passion and work ethic in these women,” Fernandes said. 

Dana Fialkowski can be reached at dana.fialkowski@student.shu.edu