Seton Hall Law dean stepping down amid embezzlement investigation

University spokesperson Laurie Pine did not say if Boozang's resignation is connected to the investigation

The dean of Seton Hall Law will step down on Jan. 1, 2023, the University announced last week. 

Dr. Kathleen Boozang will return to a faculty position after more than seven years in charge of the law school. The resignation comes amid an ongoing investigation into embezzlement at the school.

University spokesperson Laurie Pine did not say whether Boozang’s resignation was connected to the investigation.

“The University is working to ensure a thorough review is completed in a timely manner and will share the outcome upon its completion,” Pine said. “As this internal review is ongoing, there is little more information to provide at this time.”

The University has appointed professor John Kip Cornwall as interim dean of the school, based on its own campus in downtown Newark. 

On September 16, the Unviersity announced the discovery of “irregular” transactions occurring within the Law School’s administration.

“During the course of a standard review of financial policies, procedures and compliance, the University’s Division of Finance recently discovered irregular financial transactions within a Law School administrative unit,” University spokesperson Laurie Pine said in September. “In compliance with established University financial protocols, this discovery led to a further review, conducted by University and third-party auditors. That review is ongoing.”

Boozang did not respond to a request for comment.

Daniel O'Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @itsDanOConnor.