New restaurant provides healthier options for the South Orange community

Recently opening in South Orange, the Juice Hub provides a selection of healthy juices, smoothies and other vegan dishes. 

Arturo Ramirez, the owner of the store, shared his mission for the new store and said  he hopes to “deliver to our community a healthier alternative food option, using all-natural and fresh ingredients.”  

Some of these food options include fresh juices and smoothies, acai bowls, smaller portioned snacks and veggie burgers. The store, which is located on 61 Academy St., also offers a selection of cold-pressed juices and wellness shots that promote detox and wellness.  

“We wanted people to come in asking for food and then seeing that it's vegan,”Ramirez said. “We love burgers, we love sauce and we wanted it to be more natural.”

Juice-Hub-Photo-by-Anthony-Ly-1024x683
Photo by Anthony Ly

“With no preservatives in mind, we set out on creating a menu based on typical foods we eat on the go,” Ramirez added. “The key difference is that it's fully vegan. It’s incredible to think how many alternative favorites we can make taste great.” 

The Juice Hub menu features several meal selections that can be picked up and eaten on the go to start your commute to school or work. Some of these options include various yogurt selections, salads, fruit and a special avocado toast. 

Ramirez said the pandemic helped the business fit in as people looked for healthier options.

“During COVID, there was a greater need for healthier options in most delivery platforms,” Ramirez said. “We wanted to help fill that void and really deliver on something delicious, healthy and that we’re proud of.” 

The new restaurant has become a hit for students like Amanda Araujo, a junior business major at Seton Hall University. 

“I was really excited to see that I can now get an acai bowl for an affordable price, and close to home too,” Araujo said. “I tried their Nutella bowl that featured strawberries and bananas and I’m definitely going back.” 

Brian Hilyard, a junior business major, said he is excited to see if the high standard of quality of the food does not sacrifice its taste as well. 

“It’s amazing that they have so many variations of the vegan burger,” Hilyard said. “I think that if I were to try out something from their menu, it would have to be the Western Rodeo burger.”  

Since Juice hub opened, Ramirez has also been looking for ways to get the store involved with the local community. During the pandemic, the new health mogul gave back by providing first responders with free thank-you meals. 

Ramirez also hires Seton Hall students. He said he does all he can to accommodate his employees who are college students. 

“I used to be a former full-time college student and full-time employee,” Ramirez said. “I learned so much in how to balance the two and I wanted to ensure we can replicate that success in Juice Hub. While it’s not always easy, I want to make sure our student employees are not overworked and can focus on their main objective of school, while still being able to gain life experience.” 

Ramirez said he is satisfied with the level of involvement his business has with the community. 

“I know that the ingredients are fresh, handled with sanitary care, consistent in taste and that there were no shortcuts completed to make this a great meal or drink,”Ramirez said. “That is my personal mission for the store, if I am proud enough to serve it to my family, I’m proud enough to serve it to my community.” 

Sara Attia can be reached at sara.attia@student.shu.edu.