"WandaVision" takes Marvel universe by storm

"WandaVision,” streaming on Disney Plus, seems to have left a lasting impression on some of its viewers.

"WandaVision" was created by Jacqueline Schaeffer, who is known for writing other films including “The Hustle” and “Timer.” She has also co-written Marvel films “Black Widow” and “Captain Marvel.”

WV-Logo-Photo-via-Disney--1024x410
The new season of Wanda Vision is set to be released in 2022. Photo via Disney

Debuting in January, the show takes place three weeks after the events of “Avengers: Endgame.” It follows superheroes Wanda Maximoff—more commonly known as Scarlet Witch—and Vision trying to live a normal suburban life together until they realize the world around them is an illusion of what they once believed to be a reality.

“These types of shows—where it’s based on something so similar to a portrayal of reality in a time like now during a pandemic—are a nice escape from the monotony of life,” Chris Lucas, a junior marketing and finance major, said.“Through the first few episodes I was confused as to where the storyline was really going but it was interesting to see how everything began to piece together.”

Wanda Vision first aired in January and with nine episodes.

“I definitely recommend it,” Lauryn Hylton, a junior occupational therapy major, said. “It’s something so different from anything else I’ve ever watched and it’s really fun to think up your own theories of what is happening. The themes incorporate things everyone deals with like grief and family and in true Marvel fashion, all of the action scenes were cool to watch.”

WV-2-Photo-via-Disney--1024x576
Photo via Disney

"WandaVision" has been nominated for the Directors Guild of America Award for outstanding directorial achievement, the Scream Award for Best TV Show and the Scream Award for The Ultimate Scream.

Rotten Tomatoes gave WandaVision a 91% rating for season one from top critics and an 81% rating from audience viewers.

“When I first started watching ["WandaVision"] I was really confused but intrigued,” Hylton said. “They gave [Wanda] a really great development in such an innovative way with having new tv genres and decades each week.”

Julies Losquadro, a junior psychology major, shared a similar sentiment and said she would recommend the show to everyone.

“I would recommend the show, even to people who haven’t seen previous marvel movies because it is a magnificent representation of grief and loss and what those emotions can drive a person to do,” Loquadro said. “The pain and sadness that come from loss can drive people to do all sorts of things. Wanda’s coping mechanisms are all out of self-preservation, which may come across as selfishness, but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters are making sure you are okay and are able to carry on.”

The second season of "WandaVision" is set to release in 2022.

Tierra Boyd can be reached at tierra.boyd@student.shu.edu.