In-person classes suspended as winter storm approaches University

Seton Hall announced its campuses will be closed on Thursday due to an incoming snowstorm, but said that classes will continue for students virtually and that the University’s business operations will continue. 

Campuses will be limited to essential personnel only, starting at 8:45 a.m., according to a Pirate Alert sent to the campus community on Wednesday evening.

StormTotalSnowWeb1-1024x701
The National Weather Service has issues a winter weather advisory for Essex County and the surrounding area in anticipation of a significant snow event on Thursday.

The National Weather Service declared a winter weather advisory for Essex County until Friday afternoon and expects the storm to blanket the Newark area under 7 inches of snow by Saturday.

DSC_0106-1024x683
Seton Hall suspended in-person classes on Thursday in preparation for a winter storm that could bring as much as 8 inches of snow to the area. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

Snow is anticipated to start early Thursday morning and will likely continue through much of the afternoon into Friday.

According to the weather service’s New York forecast office, the potentially “significant snowfall” could cover roads and create poor visibility for much of the region, making conditions for travel hazardous. The impact prompted the University to indefinitely suspend SHUfly and SafeRide services.

Twelve New Jersey counties in both the northern and southern regions of the state remain under a winter storm warning in anticipation of the snow.

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @ItsDanOConnor.