To rush or not to rush: Seton Hall freshmen decide on Greek life

One of the long-standing traditions across many college campuses—including Seton Hall—is Greek life. As events take place online due to the pandemic, some freshmen said they have become torn on whether they should join Greek life this year.

Veronica Carreras, a freshman art, design and interactive multimedia major, said she is contemplating joining Greek life because she is unsure if she will be able to manage her time with schoolwork and exams. 

However, she said she doesn’t feel like COVID-19 is a reason not to rush.

“I feel like this whole COVID thing has been going on for so long,” Carreras said. “At this point, I’d just go for it regardless of the pandemic.”

Similar to Carreras, Caroline Dymek, a freshman biology major, said a reason for not rushing would be the difficulties of balancing Greek life with responsibilities and schoolwork. But, Dymek said, Greek life would be a great experience.

“It lends you a pathway to meet other people,” Dymek said. “Nobody discusses how lonely college can be—especially right now because of the pandemic—so joining a sorority might help us with those feelings.”

Along with building meaningful relationships, Dymek said she would also be interested in rushing because of the “Big and Little” concept. 

“I think it gives people a sense of comfort knowing that someone has more knowledge and experience, so they are able to give advice and lend a helping hand,” Dymek said.

While Carreras and Dymek are still undecided, Brooke Olsen, a freshman biology major, said she definitely wants to join Greek life.

“I am planning to rush because it is a great way to meet new people, become involved and have new experiences,” Olsen said. “I like that there is a sisterhood in Greek life and that you’ll have friends forever from a sorority.”

Olsen also said she likes the “Big and Little” concept, as one’s Big acts as “a guide to show you how to become your own person through the sorority.”

As far as COVID-19 is concerned, Olsen said the pandemic does not change her mind about rushing. Instead, Olsen said she is more concerned about not fitting in, even though it is “a sisterhood and unity of people.” 

While Olsen is certain of rushing, Camila Mora, a freshman political science major, does not want to rush. 

“I actually considered it for a minute, but because everything is online, I really don’t see the point of doing it,” Mora said.

Along with the online format, Mora said she does not want to rush because of a cultural divide. 

“One of the impressions I’ve gotten from social media is that sororities tend to be more for white American girls,” Mora said. “So as a Hispanic immigrant, I don’t really think I would fit into that type of community.”

Colleen Davis can be reached at colleen.davis@student.shu.edu.