SGA creates Diversity and Inclusion Grant Committee

The Student Government Association (SGA) passed a bill to create a permanent Diversity and Inclusion Grant Committee on Aug. 31. 

The new committee is tasked with reviewing requests and allocating funding to student organizations for events that encourage diversity and inclusion at Seton Hall. 

“The Diversity and Inclusion Grant was implemented successfully in its first year, and assisted organizations of all statures,” the bill reads. “Because of this, it should be effectuated as a permanent Committee and part of the SGA bylaws.” 

The bill says the student organization and department events that can qualify for the grant “includes but [is] not limited to the fields of culture, religion, gender, and other diverse aspects of identity.” 

The bill also provides guidelines to student organizations and departments seeking the grant. 

The maximum amount one organization can request is $2,000, but if the organization is co-sponsored with another organization, they can request up to $2,500. The events must also be on campus, adhere to SGA funding policies and follow standards set by the University and the Department of Student Life. 

SGA Treasurer Ron Babiak campaigned for the bill.

“The Diversity and Inclusion Grant Committee is something I started on a trial basis with the previous SGA Treasurer Divine Tanamal,” Babiak said, “I am happy it is now an official executive agency within SGA, and that we can begin the important work we have ahead of us this year.”

According to the bill, student organizations and departments requesting the grant must submit and present a proposal with a description of the event. 

“The Program Proposal will include a description of the event the student organization(s) and/or academic departments wishes to hold, and accurate breakdown of costs, and the funding they wish to abstain from the committee,” the bill says.

The organization’s request needs a majority vote from the Committee to receive the funds. 

The Diversity and Inclusion Grant Committee comes after SGA held forums and virtual events in June in response to national unrest over systemic racism. 

The Committee also follows controversy over diversity and inclusion during the 2018-2019 academic year, when the Concerned 44 protested over diversity issues on campus

Eve Krupcheck can be reached at genevieve.krupcheck@student.shu.edu.