Microsoft Outlook, Teams, return after hours-long outage

Microsoft 365 services, including Outlook and Teams, experienced a major outage Monday evening, preventing some students from accessing their emails and remote classes.

Microsoft said that most services were restored late Monday evening. The company tweeted at 9:21 p.m. ET that "most users should be experiencing relief." The company added that it was "continuing to see significant improvement for affected services."

452292672-1024x751
A building on the Microsoft Headquarters campus is pictured July 17, 2014 in Redmond, Washington. (Photo courtesy of Microsoft)

Downdetector, a site which tracks outages, reports that the outage started around 5:30 p.m., and that most issues were resolved by 10 p.m.

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1310696819135901696?s=20

Seton Hall’s Department of Information Technology sent a mass email on the matter at around 8 p.m. last night.

“Microsoft is investigating an issue affecting access to multiple Microsoft 365 services. Users are unable to access Outlook.com, Microsoft Teams including Teams Live Events, and Office.com,” the email said. “Microsoft is rerouting traffic to alternate infrastructure to improve the user experience while they continue to investigate the issue.”

At around midnight Tuesday morning, Microsoft 365 Status tweeted that the issue had been resolved.

“We’ve confirmed that the residual issue has been addressed and the incident has been resolved,” the tweet said. “Any users still experiencing impact should be mitigated shortly.”

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @itsDanOConnor