Adama Sanogo at the forefront of Seton Hall's recruiting efforts as he nears decision

On Aug. 16, 2013, Top 100 recruit Angel Delgado decided to take his talents from the Patrick School in local Hillside, N.J. to Seton Hall. The end result? A historic career in which Delgado broke the Big East's all-time rebounding record and earned himself a place in Pirates lore. Could Adama Sanogo be the next Top 100 Patrick School big man to follow in Delgado's footsteps? A four-star recruit, No. 66 player in his class and No. 12 center in the country according to 247Sports, Sanogo is currently at the forefront of Seton Hall's recruiting efforts as Kevin Willard and his coaching staff wrap up a 2020 class that already features point guard Jahari Long and sharpshooting forward Dimingus Stevens. Sanogo is currently a 2021 recruit, but he is expected to reclassify into the Class of 2020. Listed at 6-foot-9 and 250 pounds, Sanogo has a skill set that has made him a sought-after recruit with elite programs in the running for his services. Along with Seton Hall, Auburn, Nebraska and Big East rival UConn are the major players in Sanogo's recruitment. Maryland has recently made a strong push with Sanogo and is firmly in the mix. Illinois is also heavily involved. Sources have informed The Setonian that the Pirates are positioned well to secure a commitment from the Mali native, but with his decision still looming, anything is possible between now and then. "He is a big, strong, tough kid who can step in and compete immediately in the Big East," said Jay Gomes, publisher of NJHoops.com and New Jersey's predominant talent evaluator. "He can rebound the ball at that level and he can use his strength to defend in the post as well. He can play either the four (power forward) or five (center) positions." [caption id="attachment_30639" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Seton Hall is in the running to secure a commitment from Patrick School forward Adama Sanogo/Photo via 247Sports.[/caption] With Sandro Mamukelashvili, Myles Cale, Ike Obiagu, Jared Rhoden and Tyrese Samuel all returning next season, Seton Hall has its fair share of depth in thee frontcourt. However, a player like Sanogo has the potential to change the look of the Pirates' front line. With a game that has drawn comparisons to Delgado and an expanded offensive repertoire, Sanogo has the ability to come to Seton Hall and make an impact from day one. "He would bring more physicality and rebounding to Seton Hall's frontcourt," Gomes said. "His offensive skills are improving and he will be more of a scorer as his career progresses." Willard and company already struck gold once this offseason by landing Harvard graduate transfer Bryce Aiken. Could another major victory on the recruiting trail be in store for Seton Hall? That remains to be seen. There is one thing that is for certain, though. Landing a player like Sanogo, out of their own backyard nonetheless, would position the Pirates for another NCAA Tournament run in 2020-21. Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.