Music hits to start off the noteworthy decade

Students shared their thoughts on what they think are the biggest hits that started off the decade. Some find music to be a huge part of their daily lives and provided songs that they enjoy or top hits that get them in zone. “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd

Daniel Dalbey, a freshman communications major, found this song to have an upbeat tone to it and deemed it as a song he was able to relax to with his friends. “It just makes me feel really happy and confident and like I could take on the world,” Dalbey said. Although he is not a big fan of The Weeknd, he said this song is a great song to listen to. Dalbey considers this song a top hit because it came out recently and people are talking about it a lot and posting it on social media.

“Circles” by Post Malone

Post-Malone-via-Wikimedia
Photo via Wikimedia Commons
Kajon thinks the melody, sound and flow of “Circles†by Post Malone stands out.

Joseph Kajon, a freshman mathematics major, described this song as having “good vibes” and a great beat. “It’s just something I find very calming and something I can bop to,” Kajon said.

He says the song helps him relax when he’s dealing with the stresses of college life. Kajon said the lyrics are not something that really stands out to him, but the melody, sound and flow of the song do.

“Don’t Start Now” by Dua Lipa

Some students find songs through the social media platform TikTok. Lorra de Guzman, a freshman nursing major, first heard this song through TikTok. Like other students, de Guzman said she enjoys this song because of how catchy it is. “I really like how when I sing this song out loud, people always tend to jump in,” she said.

De Guzman said that when multiple people know the song and love it, that’s a big indicator that the song is a top hit. Similarly, the beat of the music is what de Guzman listens for more so than the actual lyrics; to her, this song has a summer tune. She said, “When I hear a summer song in winter, it makes me feel really excited for summer, and I look forward to it more.” “The Box” by Roddy Ricch

Some students agree that this song has an upbeat swing and makes people want to move along to it. “I like the style of rap that he used in terms of how the song flowed,” Dalbey said.

Although the lyrics are not something he pays much attention to, Dalbey still enjoys the beat and groove of the song.

“I’ve gotten into Roddy Ricch and started listening to his album,” he said. “He’s a unique type of rapper. I had never heard of him before this album, and TikTok kind of really blew him up for me.”

“ROXANNE” by Arizona Zervas Kajon

said he believes TikTok helps make songs popular. “Life is so stressful, and it’s nice to be able to listen to this song and feel like a kid again,” Kajon said. The lyrics don’t really stand out to him as it repeats “Roxanne” over and over again, but he enjoys listening to the melody. The fact that the song is so repetitive is something he dislikes about it. While it is easy for him to remember and catchy, he said the lyrics “don’t speak to me.”

“I feel like TikTok is what is making songs popular right now,” Kajon said. “For example, ‘Old Town Road’ came out on the platform last year, and now it’s like on the Top 10 Billboard.” According to The New York Times, “Old Town Road” became the longest-standing number one song on Hot 100, staying on top for a record-breaking 17 weeks.

Rebecca Amrick can be reached rebecca.amrick@student.shu.edu.