Ignoring politics is a privilege, not a personality trait

When I sit down to write The Voice every week, I try to not only think of a topic, but I also attempt to think of a way I can relate the topic to not only Seton Hall students, but also the entire SHU community.

The-Voice-Donald-Trump-Gage-Skidmore-Flickr

When House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Tuesday that the House of Representatives would launch a formal impeachment investigation against President Trump, I thought to myself, “Well, obviously The Voice has to be about this.” But immediately after that thought, I was stumped. “What’s the angle on this?” I thought. “How can I relate this to Seton Hall?” But then, I realized something.

I shouldn’t have to think of some new and inventive angle to relate the possible impeachment of the president of the United States to the student body. I shouldn’t have to sit back and think to myself, “Why does this matter to students?” because the simple fact is, it does, whether they think it does or not.

I’m not here to give you guys a diatribe about voting or going to political rallies or even posting on social media about these topics. I’m simply here to say that what was announced yesterday, the fact that the president of the United States is accused of betraying his oath of office and the nation’s security by seeking the aid of a foreign power to attempt to take down a political rival, is something we should all care about. It’s not something to brush aside. History is happening all around us, right now. The photos being featured on the front page of newspapers nationwide are going to be in our children’s textbooks someday, and that is something significant.

Ignoring politics is not a cute personality trait. It’s not a matter of diverging opinions; it’s a matter of privilege. If you think that politics don’t matter, that what is happening to the presidency and how Donald Trump has changed the office of the executive irrevocably is irrelevant, you are privileged and there’s no way around that fact.

So, the message of The Voice this week is that you should give a damn. We should all give a damn.

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief.